• Phil Tanny
    One of the fascinating things about the human condition is how wrong we can be. Not just you and me, but the big shot expert people too.

stupid.jpeg

Here in America we went wild after 9/11, launching two wars costing trillions of dollars and taking the national security state to a whole new level. Talking head expert pundit people have discussed the threat from terrorism constantly on a thousand different media outlets, and we've all watched the World Trade Towers come down over and over and over. And now on the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks we're rewinding the tape to play it yet again.

And in all this talk over 20 years have you ever heard anyone ask why we have the headquarters of the major federal agencies all bunched up together in Washington D.C.? Isn't that an incredibly appealing target for a nuclear terrorist?

Let's take a quick look at the agencies which are headquartered in Washington D.C.

capitol.jpeg

Department of Agriculture, Department of Commerce, Department of Defense, Department of Education, Department of Energy, Department of Health & Human Services, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Housing & Urban Development, Department of the Interior, Department of Justice, Department of Labor, Department of State, Department of Transportation, Department of the Treasury, Department of Veteran Affairs. And I'm sure this list is ignoring many other offices of the federal government. Like for instance, Congress.

My understanding is that engineering grad students would be capable of building a nuclear device from plans available on the Internet. To the best of my knowledge, the nuclear fuel can be smuggled in to the country in a lead pipe hidden one of the 11 million shipping containers entering the U.S. each year. Only about 4% of those containers are inspected.

containers.jpeg

In the age of Zoom and the Internet, why do the major federal agencies have to be centralized in one location?

Why does this subject so rarely (if ever) seem to come up in all the endless discussion of terrorism and 9/11? What am I missing here?

To make this threat more concrete and specific consider taking nine minutes to watch this video which explains the impact of a nuclear detonation on a city. You can also see a map showing the impact of a 1 megaton detonation on Washington. If this were to happen in Washington D.C. how well would our federal government continue it's operations?

One bomb. One city. National crisis.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Thoughtage.com

The mission of this site is to provide a higher quality intellectual discussion experience than is typically available on social media. Click Here To Learn More