• Phil Tanny
    I'm currently watching an extremely detailed history of World War Two on Amazon Prime. This documentary film is called:

Second World War Diary - The War Day by Day

How detailed exactly you might ask. How about 73+ hours. Long enough for you? Yup, I'm not kidding, this film covers every single day of the war, on every front, from beginning to end. The entire war, nothing left out. Nothing.

world-war-two.jpg

Here's a list of all the episodes, with each episode covering one month of the war.

Amazon users have submitted hundreds of reviews of the film on the Amazon site.

For what it's worth, here's my review.

First, obviously you need to be seriously interested in World War II if you're going to watch a 73 hour film about it. This epic conflict has receded in the cultural consciousness in our times, but it's still one of the biggest and most pivotal events in human history. The stakes of WWII were enormous, it's really impossible to imagine what our lives would be like today if the outcome of the war had been different. This is one of the greatest stories ever told as it's filled with incredible heroes, very despicable villains, and truly historic outcomes.

I should mention that the production values of this film are fairly modest. You won't confuse this film with a modern highly polished Hollywood production. It looks more like the kind of film you might have watched in your high school social studies class. I was put off by this at first, and almost didn't watch the series.

I'm glad I stuck with it. What this films excels at is extensive detail, and tons of great archival footage from every front. I'm half way in, and totally hooked. I've been interested in WWII for over 50 years, and still find myself learning something new in almost every day of the war which is covered by this film.

If you want a Hollywood movie experience, this isn't it. If you want to learn about WWII in more detail than you ever imagined possible, this could be the film for you.

I can share my opinions of this film with anyone and everyone without fear of anything, because millions of people in the 1940s stood up, risked everything, often lost everything, confronted the fascists and defeated them, thus preserving freedom in at least parts of the world. How different our lives today could have been.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment